Wednesday being Patreon Day, work on Edymion began this morning. I made fairly good progress, but the sternpiece proved rather difficult (just some Blender bugs!).
I went with a "generic" British-style stern, as the plans I had access to didn't actually include stern-facing details of the galleries, though I did have side images.
Anyway, after more than a month, it was good to return to a "proper" Age of Sail ship! I've been rather stressed lately, but there's something very methodical about making a ship. I suppose I've had enough practice that I can do it sort of semi-consciously, so I took the whole thing as a bit of a meditative exercise.
Work progressed as follows; sketch "lines" of the ship using the stern/bow image attached to the main profile, scaling the hull to 1/700, drawing the hull shape, closing off the bow and stern, sculpting the galleries and then making the bow details. Finally I added belaying pins and gunports. All together that was about six or seven hours' work!
For the curious, you can view my Patreon workflow here.